By Vladimir Silva
"Wolfenstein 3D"-like and "Doom"-like online game apps are many of the classic Android video games awarded within the unique variation of this ebook. due to the fact their free up, Android has improved with the debut of Android 4.0, including larger fonts, new person Interface and adventure (UI/UX) APIs, tablet concerns, multi-touch features, multi-tasking, swifter functionality, and masses extra to the Android online game app development repertoire.
Multi-touch code offers those video games and their gamers dynamic enter and trade ability, for a extra life like arcade online game experience. Faster and higher functionality deals video game gamers a extra seamless, enjoyable arcade adventure like by no means earlier than on Android. there's additionally superior local C/C++ integration with Android's NDK in addition, which makes coding, compiling, and changing both productive and effective with earnings in app performance.
With actionable real-world source, Advanced Android 4 Games shows you ways to construct extra subtle and addictive Android video games, harnessing the ability of those fresh developments.
* insurance of the new UI, UX, multi-touch and multi-tasking good points on hand with Android 4.0.
* research different thoughts for making improvements to the game taking part in adventure together with wireless tethering, greater multi-tasking, new and higher streaming internet video utilizing WebM, and extra.
* by way of combining the stylish object-oriented good points of Java and the uncooked strength of C, there isn't any restrict to the kinds of video games that you should construct for the platform, resembling the "Quake 3D"-like game app case learn during this book.
You’ll certainly celebrate, and maybe you’ll even make a few cash. take pleasure in!
<What you’ll learn> * Key complicated Android gaming concepts utilizing the hot Android SDK 4 to aid you earn more cash within the app shops
* find out how to collect local code (C) in Android utilizing the NDK
* the best way to upload and combine multi-touch
* How to use Bluetooth controllers (Zeemote)
* extra gaming tips and advice, reminiscent of hybrid 3D images with OpenGL and JNI
* easy methods to port and increase a 2nd shooter online game app just like "Wolfenstein" for Android
* find out how to port and increase one other second shooter "Doom"-like online game app for Android utilizing OpenGL
* find out how to construct a 3D shooter video game like "Quake"
* How and the place to top set up those video game apps
Who this booklet is for
This booklet is for savvy Android app builders who're searching for specialist or complex innovations for porting, augmenting and construction 2nd and 3D video game apps which are complicated, enjoyable and profitable.
desk of Contents * Welcome to Android Gaming
* Gaming tips:
* extra Gaming tips: Hybrid 3D snap shots with OpenGL and JNI
* effective photographs with OpenGL ES 2.0
* 2nd Shooters with OpenGL: Doom-like App for Android
* 3D Shooters half I: Quake-like App
* 3D Shooters half II: Quake II
* Appendix: Deployment and Compilation advice
Read or Download Advanced Android 4 Games PDF
Similar java books
Written by means of builders affiliated with BEA platforms, this complicated e-book walks during the layout, development, and deployment of an instance WebLogic server software, and indicates top practices for the management, functionality tuning, and configuration of WebLogic server environments. the development of the instance web-based reservation approach includes a presentation tier containing servlets and Java server pages, Jakarta Struts, company JavaBeans, JMS messaging, and direct interplay with the business-tier elements.
JAX: Java APIs for XML Kick begin covers the JAX APIs - primary for improvement of Java-based internet carrier functions in addition to different e-Commerce purposes requiring the trade and manipulation of knowledge. The e-book comprises an summary of internet carrier basics together with cleaning soap, UDDI, and WSDL, all of with a purpose to be equipped upon in later examples.
JBoss RichFaces is a wealthy JavaServer Faces (JSF) part library that is helping builders fast advance next–generation internet purposes. useful RichFaces describes tips on how to top benefit from RichFaces, the combination of the Ajax4jsf and RichFaces libraries, to create a versatile and strong courses.
Seasoned NetBeans IDE 6 wealthy purchaser Platform version is the second one Apress ebook to hide the agile, open resource NetBeans IDE platform. The booklet specializes in the recent good points of NetBeans 6 in addition to what has replaced given that NetBeans five. five, empowering you to be a more beneficial and effective developer.
Extra resources for Advanced Android 4 Games
Any game developer that has worked in both languages and is concerned with squeezing every single bit of speed in to a device will tell you that Java code is at least six times slower than raw native C. Specially if you work in advanced OpenGL graphics. As a matter of fact if you take a look at the underpinnings of the Android source you’ll find out that most of the Java APIs are simply JNI wrappers to a bunch of C libraries, especially when it comes to Audio/Video. All in all, because of the multiplatform nature of today’s mobile landscape: iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Symbian, and others, most game developers build their engines in portable C.
Note that the name of the library is important (myapp). dll but that’s another story). Next we tell Java the native library has a function GameMain that takes an array of strings as arguments. The native keyword in Java is used to declare native functions. Finally we simply call the native function from the Java main subroutine. loadLibray call will throw an UnsatisfiedLinkError which can be very annoying. MyApp. Now, for the native side implementation of GameMain. Be careful with the syntax of the function in C.
3. Whenever an audio event occurs in the game, such as the player fires a gun or jumps, the engine will play the specific raw audio assets by writing an audio buffer to the device hardware. CHAPTER 2: Gaming Tricks for Phones or Tablets WARNING: Handling Audio in the native side only via OpenAL is not supported in Android versions prior to 3. Nevertheless it is the most efficient way of doing it. On the other hand, using a thin Java wrapper will work in all Android versions. It will be a bit slower however.
Advanced Android 4 Games by Vladimir Silva